The Town of Wendell is named for a Judge Oliver Wendell (1733-1818) of Boston and was incorporated in May 1781.
Wendell has an area of 32.22 square miles, which is 32 square miles of land and .22 square miles of water. The 2000 population was 874 adults.
The Millers River runs along the entire northern boundary, separating Wendell from Erving. Other abutting towns are Montague, New Salem, Orange, Shutesbury, and Warwick.
Wendell is at a longitude of 72° 23" 50' W and a latitude of 42° 32" 54' N. Our elevation is 1,164 feet above sea level.
Our average temperature in January is 18.8° Fahrenheit and in July is 69.3° Fahrenheit.
There 669 registered voters; 214 Democrats, 24 Republicans, 6 Green Rainbow Party, 1 Libertarian, 1 Natural Law Party, and 423 Unenrolled.
The town has an open town meeting type of government, moderated by Kathy Ann Becker. Wendell has a three member selectboard: Christine Heard (Chair), Daniel Keller, and Jeoffrey Pooser. Our Town Coordinator is Nancy Aldrich.